Oleg Matveyev: I live and breathe football
On August 18, the renowned Shakhtar striker of the 1990s marks his 45th birthday. We extended our birthday wishes to Oleg Matveyev. We wished him family bliss and sound health. And we asked him for a short interview on the occasion of the remarkable date.
- Thanks for the birthday wishes. I’m in a great mood, I’d call it festive mood. (Laughs). I still live and breathe football. However, previously I managed to take to the pitch more frequently. In Donetsk, we often organised matches between the veterans of our club. While these days, we more often gather together upon our own initiative.
- When did you play for the last time?
- Yesterday I took part in a memorial match for Sergei Zakarlyuka. Many of our big-name players came there.
- Could you tell us a few words about your current job.
- Being a Shakhtar scout, I continuously travel across the country, watching matches of Ukrainian teams at different levels – we pick talents for both our Academy and first team. I've also fulfilled myself as a player, as a forward, only at Shakhtar. I spent my best football years here. I would say more – my move from Dynamo to Shakhtar is the most outstanding episode in my career!
- What teammates do you keep in touch with?
- I maintain close contacts with many guys: with Gennadiy Orbu, Sergei Popov, Sergei Atelkin, Gennadiy Zubov. It’s even difficult to list all of them at once.
- Are you going to mark your birthday with your family?
- Yes, I am going to spend the day at home with my nearest and dearest.