Training camp in USA: peculiarities of post-match day
The next morning after the meeting with Corinthians, Mircea Lucescu gave the players some free time. The team had only one training session scheduled for January 21.
The training was held taking into account the post-match day specifics. The footballers who played for more than 70 minutes the previous day, had a simplified training programme. The rest exercised for regular ninety minutes, of which two-thirds were devoted to ball handling.
- For me, this training camp began with injury – I had an ankle ligament damaged. But at the moment I feel much better: acute pain is gone, I just feel slightly uncomfortable so far, but it does not prevent me from exercising. Now I try to catch up with the boys in terms of fitness, - said Shakhtar defender Serhiy Kryvtsov.
- Have the coaching staff made any adjustments to the training process, taking into account the long air trip to the United States, as well as change in the climate and time zone?
- No, they haven’t. The training sessions are held based on the usual principle of undergoing significant workloads. But our living conditions have been organized differently this time. We live in small houses, each accommodating five people, so we spend much time together: watching movies in the evening and talking a lot. That’s a great psychological relief, especially during the training camp!
- What’s your impression of the FloridaCup?
- It is noticeable that in Florida they took a serious approach to the popularization of football. And it works: there are many spectators in the stands, we can feel a growing interest in our sport. And for us, the players, this tournament is primarily important due to the fact that we have the opportunity to play friendlies against some major teams. If you compare our match against Fluminense with our meeting with Corinthians, you will see that in the second meeting Shakhtar proved much better and stronger. Especially in the second half, when Corinthians, the champions of Brazil, crossed midfield just few times. And this happened with Shakhtar having just ten men, while the opponents already rediscovered their form since Corinthians’ training camp had kicked off much earlier than ours. It’s true that our finishing let us down, but that's understandable as we play being affected by fatigue. But with each passing day, Shakhtar are improving their form. Our objective is approaching the clash with Schalke in optimum form.