Shakhtar vs Vorskla: match report

On March 27, in the Ukrainian Cup Last 8 return leg, the Donetsk side were receiving Vorskla.

Ukrainian Cup 2015/16. Quarter-finals. Return leg.

March 27, 2016. Kyiv. Obolon-Arena. 10 oC. Attendance: 2,182

Shakhtar Donetsk 1-2 (0-1) Vorskla Poltava

Goals: 0-1 Khlyobas (28’), 1-1 Bernard (67 pen.), 1-2 Khlyobas (88’)

Shakhtar: Sarnavskyi, Kobin, Ordets, Kryvtsov, Ismaily, Malyshev, Dentinho, Taison (c) (Eduardo, 70’), Bernard, Nem (Marlos, 65’), Gladkyy (Ferreyra, 65’)

Unused subs: Kanibolotskyi, Matviienko, Zinkevych, Shyshka

Head coach: Mircea Lucescu

Vorskla: Nepohodov, Siminin, Dallku (c), Dovhyi, Sklyar (Tkachuk, 57’), Kovpak (Supai, 46’), Chesnakov, Kolomoyets, Perduta (Kvasnyi, 78’), Khlyobas, Rebenok

Unused subs: Tkachenko, Odaryuk, Bobrov, Bartulovych

Head coach: Vasyl Sachko

Bookings: Siminin (45’), Sklyar (46’), Ordets (47’), Dovgyi (59’), Sapai (72’), Kolomoyets (86’)

Referee: Yuriy Vaks (Khmelnytskyi)

Before the match

The first quarterfinal meeting between the teams in Poltava ended in a confident 4-0 win for the Pitmen. In the return game, Mircea Lucescu could not deploy the internationals, however Maksym Malyshev joined the team at the last moment, appearing from the off. Otherwise, the Donetsk line-up might be called experimental, with Bohdan Sarnavskyi taking the place between the sticks, with Taison putting on the captain's armband and the bench featuring the young players from the U21 team - Mykhailo Shyshka and Oleksiy Zinkevych.

First half

Shakhtar got off to a confident start, getting the ball under control and creating a few dangerous situations near Poltava’s goal in the opening stages of the game. After that, the game calmed down and towards the middle of the first half, the Pitmen stepped it up again, with Taison shooting dangerously twice from outside the box. Oleksandr Gladkyy missed on a great chance and hit the goalie following Bernard’s pass. And on 28 minutes, the ball unexpectedly hit the back of the opposing goal. Khlyobas struck a low free-kick from some 35 metres, with Sarnavskyi being late on the ball just to see the ball hit the net – 0-1. Shortly afterwards, the Donetsk team could have levelled it, but Vasyl Kobin failed to fire it past the away goalkeeper from a good position. On 38 minutes, a great set-piece by Bernard whizzed by the top corner. The ending of the half was marked by Shakhtar’s continuous attacking moves, but the score remained unchanged.

Second half

Immediately after the break the opponents exchanged dangerous attacks, with the Pitmen continuing to boss it. At the end of an hour of the game, Kobin produced a great free kick, with the visiting keeper palming it off for the corner. Then Gladkyy missed two excellent chances. On 65 minutes, Mircea Lucescu made a double substitution, fielding Facundo Ferreyra and Marlos. The Argentine immediately earned a penalty, which was immaculately converted by Bernard – 1-1. On 70 minutes, Eduardo replaced Taison, putting on the captain's armband. And the game itself got more open, it was the end-to-end action with the opponents trying to score the winning goal. The Pitmen were closer to success. Eduardo could have excelled, but the keeper once again came to the rescue of Poltava just as he did in a one-on-one situation involving Kobin. However, the visitors converted their chance on 88 minutes, when Khlyobas grabbed a brace firing it into the bottom corner – 1-2. In injury time, Bernard sent a volley only to see the Poltava keeper cope with his attempt. That concluded the game.

Thus, Shakhtar became the first Ukrainian Cup semi-finalists, and on April 6 the other participants in the semi-final will be known.