Shakhtar play to win even with ten men
Saturday, November 21, 2020
Oleksandriia manager Volodymyr Sharan shared his take on the match vs Shakhtar
- I think the fans liked the match because until the last minute both teams wanted to win it. And even despite the fact that our opponents got short-handed in the 31st minute, Shakhtar are Shakhtar. This team play to win only. We were satisfied with the first half - we operated in an organized and right manner, therefore we allowed the Miners to create next to no chances. And after the break near our goal, the hosts had many opportunities. We need to analyze and review those moments because we made many mistakes while playing the ball near our own penalty area. Shakhtar carried out good counterattacks, but we could have scored as well when Tretyakov hit the crossbar. Such chances should be converted. I want to point out that all the guys really wanted to play just to win, and at half-time I even had to restrain them and ask them to follow the coach's instructions.
- In your team, many players have had coronavirus. What do you make of their current condition and how long their recovery might be?
- It started with the match vs Olimpik. We were weakened by then and looked really weak physically. But it’s very good that in that game the guys showed their mettle, remaining with ten men and conceding three unanswered goals in the first half, after the break we managed to score twice. After that, we gradually started to improve their fitness. This time, when there was a break for the national teams’ games, for three days we conducted two training sessions, with an emphasis precisely on improving fitness. And today I am satisfied with our physical condition, but not one hundred percent because it must be borne in mind that almost the entire team have had coronavirus, including the coaching staff.
- The encounter between the national teams of Switzerland and Ukraine in the UEFA Nations League was cancelled just due to the coronavirus. What is your opinion on the current situation?
- Of course, we are also monitoring the situation. Firstly, I do not believe that our national team can be considered a losing side. The guys were ready to play, as the national team head coach Andriy Shevchenko spoke about that. But, unfortunately, it so happened that the match did not happen. I think this is wrong, but now we need to wait until Monday when UEFA takes the decision.